Hydra is one of the Saronic Islands of Greece, located in the Aegean Sea between the Saronic Gulf and the Argolic Gulf. It is separated from the Peloponnese by narrow strip of water. In ancient times, the island was known as Hydrea (derived from the Greek word for "water"), which was a reference to the springs on the island.
The municipality Hydra consists of the islands Hydra, Dokos and a few uninhabited islets. The province of Hydra was one of the provinces of the Piraeus Prefecture. Its territory corresponded with that of the current municipality. It was abolished in 2006.
While it seems tiny and low-key, overachieving Hydra holds a privileged place in Greek history. The fate of Hydriots has always been tied to the sea, which locals have harnessed to their advantage time after time.
Many Hydriot merchants became wealthy running the British blockade of French ports during the Napoleonic Wars. Hydra enjoyed its glory days in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, when the island was famous for its shipbuilders. Hydra’s prosperity earned it the nickname “Little England.” As rebellion swept Greece, the island flourished as a safe haven for those fleeing Ottoman oppression.
When the Greeks launched their War of Independence in 1821, Hydra emerged as a leading naval power. The harbor, with its twin forts and plenty of cannon, housed and protected the fleet of 130 ships. Hydriots of note from this period include the naval officer Andreas Miaoulis, who led the “firebrands” and their deadly “fireships,” which succeeded in decimating the Ottoman navy; and Lazaros Kountouriotis, a wealthy shipping magnate who donated his fleet to the cause.
Greece won its independence, but at a great cost to Hydra, which lost many of its merchant-turned-military ships to the fighting...sending the island into a deep economic funk. During those lean post-war years, Hydriots again found salvation in the sea, farming the sponges that lived below the surface (sponge-divers here pioneered the use of diving suits). Gathering sponges kick-started the local economy and kept Hydra afloat.
In 1956, Sophia Loren came here to play an Hydriot sponge-diver in the film Boy on a Dolphin, propelling the little island onto an international stage. And the movie’s plot—in which a precious ancient sculpture is at risk of falling into the hands of a greedy art collector instead of being returned to the Greek government—still resonates with today’s Greeks, who want to reclaim their heritage for the Acropolis Museum.
Thanks largely to the film, by the 1960s Hydra had become a favorite retreat for celebrities, well-heeled tourists, and artists and writers, who still draw inspiration from the idyllic surroundings. Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen lived here for a time—and was inspired to compose his beloved song “Bird on the Wire” after observing just that here on Hydra. Today visitors only have to count the yachts to figure out that Hydra’s economy is still based on the sea.
Rick Steves, author
Hydra's Significant Sights :
Hydra’s Historical Archives and Museum: http://www.iamy.gr/portal/page/portal/iamy/Homepage
Church of Dormition
Byzantine or Ecclesiastical Museum of Hydra : tel. 0030 22980-54071
Cathedral of Hydra
Church of Saint Konstantinos of Hydra, Kala Pigadia
Convent of St. Evpraxia (at the Monestery of Profitas Ilias)
Giorgios and Pavlos Koundouriotis Mansion (Museum of Modern History of Hydra) : tel. 0030 22980-52245
Hydra’s Historic Mansions
Monastery of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity), Mandraki
Tsamados Mansion (School of the National Merchant Marine)
Useful information :
The official site of Hydra Island : http://www.hydra.com.gr/
Town Hall of Hydra : Tel. 0030 22980-52210, 53003
At the foot of Mount Parnassos, within the angle formed by the twin rocks of the Phaedriades, lies the Pan-Hellenic sanctuary of Delphi, which had the most famous oracle of ancient Greece. Delphi was regarded as the centre of the world. According to mythology, it is here that the two eagles sent out by Zeus from the ends of the universe to find the navel of the world met. The sanctuary of Delphi, set within a most spectacular landscape, was for many centuries the cultural and religious centre and symbol of unity for the Hellenic world. The history of Delphi begins in prehistory and in the myths of the ancient Greeks. In the beginning the site was sacred to Mother Earth and was guarded by the terrible serpent Python, who was later killed by Apollo. Apollo's sanctuary was built here by Cretans who arrived at Kirrha, the port of Delphi, accompanied by the god in the form of a dolphin. This myth survived in plays presented during the various Delphic festivals, such as the Septerion, the Delphinia, the Thargelia, the Theophania and, of course. the famous Pythia, which celebrated the death of Python and comprised musical and athletic competitions.
The earliest finds in the area of Delphi, which date to the Neolithic period (4000 BC), come from the Korykeion Andron, a cave on Parnassos, where the first rituals took place. The remains of a Mycenaean settlement and cemetery were discovered within the sanctuary, but traces of occupation are rare and very fragmentary until the eighth century BC, when the cult of Apollo was established and the development of the sanctuary and the oracle began. The first stone temples of Apollo and Athena, who was also officially venerated under the name of “Pronaia” or “Pronoia” and had her own sanctuary, were built towards the end of the seventh century BC. According to literary and archaeological evidence other gods were associated with the sanctuary; these included Artemis, Poseidon, Dionysus, Hermes, Zeus Polieus, Hygeia and Eileithyia.
The sanctuary was the centre of the Amphictyonic League, an association of twelve tribes of Thessaly and the Sterea (south-central Greece), with religious and later political significance. The Amphictyonic League controlled the operation and finances of the sanctuary, as it designated its priests and other officials chosen from among the inhabitants of Delphi. In the sixth century BC, under the League's protection and administration, the sanctuary was made autonomous (First Sacred War), it increased its territory and political and religious influence throughout Greece, and reorganised the Pythian Games, the second most important games in Greece after the Olympics, which were held every four years.
Between the sixth and fourth centuries BC, the Delphic oracle, which was regarded as the most trustworthy, was at its peak. It was delivered by the Pythia, the priestess, and interpreted by the priests of Apollo. Cities, rulers and ordinary individuals alike consulted the oracle, expressing their gratitude with great gifts and spreading its fame around the world. The oracle was thought to have existed since the dawn of time. Indeed, it was believed to have successfully predicted events related to the cataclysm of Deukalion, the Argonaut's expedition and the Trojan War; more certain are the consultations over the founding of the Greek colonies. It was the oracle's fame and prestige that caused two Sacred Wars in the middle of the fifth and fourth centuries BC. In the third century BC, the sanctuary was conquered by the Aetolians, who were driven out by the Romans in 191 BC. In Roman times, the sanctuary was favoured by some emperors and plundered by others, including Sulla in 86 BC.
The rise of the Rationalist movement in philosophy in the third century BC, damaged the oracle's authority, yet its rituals continued unchanged into the second century AD, when it was consulted by Hadrian and visited by Pausanias. The latter's detailed description of the buildings and more than three hundred statues has greatly contributed to our reconstruction of the area. The Byzantine emperor Theodosius finally abolished the oracle and the Slavs destroyed the precinct in 394 BC. With the advent of Christianity, Delphi became an episcopal see, but was abandoned in the sixth-seventh centuries AD. Soon after, in the seventh century AD, a new village, Kastri, grew over the ruins of the ancient sanctuary, attracting in modern times several travellers interested in antiquities.
Archaeological research in Delphi began in 1860 by Germans. In 1891, the Greek government granted the French School at Athens permission for long-term excavations on the site. It is then that the village of Kastri was removed to allow for the so-called “Great Excavation' to take place. The Great Excavation uncovered spectacular remains, including about three thousand inscriptions of great importance for our knowledge of public life in ancient Greece. Today, the Greek Archaeological Service and the French School at Athens continue to research, excavate and conserve the two Delphic sanctuaries. Of all the monuments, only the Treasury of the Athenians had enough of its original building material preserved to allow for its almost complete reconstruction. The project was financed by the City of Athens and carried through by the French School in 1903-1906. The Chiot altar, the temple of Apollo and the Tholos were also partially restored. In 1927 and 1930, the poet Angelos Sikelianos and his wife, Eva, attempted to revive the Delphic idea and make of Delphi a new cultural centre of the earth, through a series of events that included performances of ancient theatre.
Dr E. Partida, archaeologist
Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Tourism : http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh351.jsp?obj_id=2507
The Archeological Sites of Delphi : http://odysseus.culture.gr/h/3/eh3530.jsp?obj_id=2507
Other Significant Sights :
Museum and Archaeological Site of Delphi : tel. 0030 22650.82312-3,
Museum of Delphic Festivals (Eva and Angelos Sikelianos) : http://www.fokida.gr/site/categories/prefokida/municipalities/Delfi/diffContent/cultural_events/mouseio_delfikwn_eortwn_sikelianou.csp
Monastery of Prophet Ilias (9 km. from Delphi)
Monastery of Hosios Loukas (35 km. from Delphi) : http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/537
Itea (19 km. from Delphi)
Galaxidi (35 km. from Delphi) : http://www.in-galaxidi.gr/
Chrysso (7 km. from Delphi) : http://www.chrisso.gr/
Arachova (8 km. from Delphi) : http://www.arachova.gr/ & http://www.arachova-guide.com/
Parnassos Ski Center (35 km from Delphi)
According classical mythology, the Giants killed by Hercules in a fierce battle, are buried on the island under imposing blocks of mykonian granite. The name “Mykonos”, somewhat pejoratively, means a mass of stones’ or a rocky place; a later tradition attributes the name of the island to a hero by the name of Mykonos, the son of the king of Delos, Anios, who was the son of Appolon and nymphe Rhoio- a descendent of Dionysus.
The Kares and Phoenicians may have been the first inhabitants of Mykonos, but Ionians from Athens were established colonists and in control of the island by around 1000 B.C, having expelled the previous occupants. Historical sources confirm the following: in ancient times there were two towns on the island; in 490B.C, the Persian generals Datis and Artaphernes made a brief stopover in Mykonos; It was a poor island with limited agricultural resources. In ancient, pantheistic times, Dionysos, Demetra, Zeus, Appolon, Poseidon and Heracles were the principle gods worshiped here. Later in history the island belonged to the Romans and subsequently to the Byzantines, who have fortified the island against the Arab raids of the 7th century, kept control of it until the 12th century.
After the fall of Constantinople, at the end of the 4th Crusade (1204), the island was occupied, as their seigneur (stronghold) by Andrea and Jeremia Ghisi – relatives of Dandolo, the Doge of Venice. In 1292 it was looted and pillage by the Catalans, and, subsequently, in 1390, given over to the Venetians, in 1390, by the last of the Ghizi overlord. In 1537, while still under Venetian domination, the island suffered a catastrophic attack by Barbarossa, the admiral of Souleiman the Magnificent. Later, under Kapudan Pasha, the head of the Ottoman fleet the island is practically self-governed, according to the system of the period, by a functionary called a “voivode” and a council (body of “syndics”) who always tried to maintain an equal distance from both Turks and Venetians (the last of whom withdrew definitively from the region, in 1718, after the fall of the castle of Tinos to the Ottomans).
The popular of the Mykonos (which during modern times has fluctuated, generally from 2000 to 5000 people) was increased by colonies of immigrants (from nearby island and as well as from Crete) during time of starvation and epidemics which often followed the periods of conflict, until the late 18th century.
The Mykonians, who throughout the same period were known as excellent sailors, were successful in trade and shipping and, also, piracy was not unheard of… Many islanders were active in the “Orlof Insurrection” ( led by the Orloff brothers, 1770-74), which resulted favorably, for them as well as for Catherine the Great in, due to the very profitable treaties concerning trade between the Ottomans and the Russian Empire.
Soon after the out break of the Greek Revolution 1821, the Mykonians, roused and led by the lady Mando Mavrogenous (an- aristocrat educated with the most fervent ideas of the Enlightment- who become a popular nation heroine) successfully impeded a landing of a squadron of the Ottoman fleet in 1822. They participated actively in the war , with four armed ships (two of the totally outfitted and supplied at Lady Mando’s expenses ; before the war over she had spend almost all of her , considerable, family fortune).
After the establishment of the modern Greek State, the activity of the local upper- and lower- middle class revived the island economy through the consolidate of trade relations with south Russia, Moldavia and Walachia. Mykonian merchants were established in Constantinople, Smyrna, Alexandria, Syros, Livorno and Marseilles. The predominance of stream technology over the traditional commerce of the sailing ships, at the end of the 19th century, the subsequent opening of the Corinth Canal (1904) and the upheavals of World War I resulted in a depression of the local economy; many Myconians left to find work abroad (mainly in US) and in the going centers of mainland Greece (Piraeus, Athens). The development of tourism in the following decades has provided a means of the islands’ economy development.
The prolonged excavations of the French School of Archeology, begun in Delas in 1873, focused attention on the region- at least that the happy few who, attracted by the charm of classical Greece, had the means and the opportunity to travel. In the early 30s already, many famous artists, politicians and wealthy people, mainly from Europe, began spending vacation on the island, attracted by its unique atmosphere. Mykonos has adapted well to the post-war situation and the gradual growth of the tourism industry in south Europe: the island has turned into a cosmopolitan locale and is one of the most successful growth – models, of its type and scale in Europe.
(source : Municipality of Mykonos)
Mykonos' Significant Sights :
Aegean Maritime Museum
Ftelia Archeaological Site
For more information you can visit:
Municipality of Mykonos : http://www.mykonos.gr
Tel. : +30 22890 23261 / 22890 22201
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The region as a whole is rich with ancient history, most notably through the Minoan civilisation centred at Kydonia east of Rethymno. Rethymno itself began a period of growth when the Venetian conquerors of the island decided to put an intermediate commercial station between Heraklion and Chania, acquiring its own bishop and nobility in the process. Today's old town (palia poli) is almost entirely built by the Venetians. It is one of the best preserved old towns in Crete.
The town still maintains its old aristocratic appearance, with its buildings dating from the 16th century, arched doorways, stone staircases, Byzantine and Hellenic-Roman remains, the small Venetian harbour and narrow streets. The Venetian Loggia houses the information office of the Ministry of Culture. A Wine Festival is held there annually at the beginning of July. Another festival, in memory of the destruction of the Arkadi Monastery, is held on 7–8 November.
The city's Venetian-era citadel, the Fortezza, is one of the best-preserved castles in Crete. Other monuments include the Neratze mosque (the Municipal Odeon arts centre), the Great Gate (Μεγάλη Πόρτα, Porta Guora), the Piazza Rimondi (Rimondi square) and the Venetian Loggia.
The town was also captured by the Ottoman Turks in 1646 and was ruled by them for almost three centuries. The town (Resmo in Turkish) was the centre of a sanjak during Ottoman rule.
During the Battle of Crete (20–30 May 1941), the Battle of Rethymno was fought between German paratroopers and Australian and Greek forces. Although initially unsuccessful, the Germans won the battle after receiving reinforcements from Maleme in the Northwestern part of the island.
Today the city's main income is from tourism, many new facilities having been built in the past 20 years. Agriculture is also notable, especially for olive oil and other Mediterranean products. It is also the base of the Philosophical School and the University Library of the University of Crete and the School of Social and Political Sciences having 8.000 students on its university campus per annum at "Galos", where the Academic Institute of Mediterranean Studies is situated.
Significant Sights of Rethymno :
Archaeological Museum of Rethymno
The museum contains the following collections:
Late Neolithic (3500-2900 B.C.) and Early Minoan (2800-2100 B.C.) finds from the caves Gerani, Melidoni, Margeles and Helenes, finds from the buildings at Apodoulou, Monastiraki and the peak sanctuary at Vrysinas, dated to the Middle Minoan period (2100-1600 B.C.) Late Minoan finds (1600-1100 B.C.) from the cemeteries, the most representative being that of Armenoi, finds of the Geometric (1000-700 B.C.) and Archaic (700-500 B.C.) periods from Eleutherna and Axos , finds from Stavromenos and Argyroupolis (ancient Lappa) dated to the Classical, Hellenistic and Roman periods.
Historical and Folklore Museum of Rethymno
Municipal Gallery "L. Kanakakis"
The Frantzeskaki Collection
Museum of Sea Life at Rethymno
Saint Francesco Church
The Loggia of Rethymno
The Fortezza fortress
The Nekropolis of Armenoi
The Old Venetian Harbour
USEFUL LINKS :
The official page of the city of Rethymno : http://www.rethymno.gr
Chania - Rethymno KTEL (buses): http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com/
Chania Airport : http://www.chania-airport.com/
Heraklion airport : http://www.heraklion-airport.info/
Heraklion port : http://www.portheraklion.gr/olh/frontend/index.jsp
The island of Rhodes is located at the crossroads of two major sea routes of the Mediterranean between the Aegean Sea and the coast of the Middle East, as well as Cyprus and Egypt. The meeting point of three continents, it has known many civilizations.
Throughout its long history the different people who settled on Rhodes left their mark in all aspects of the island's culture: art, language, architecture. Its strategic position brought to the island great wealth and made the city of Rhodes one of the leading cities of the ancient Greek world.
Rhodes is the largest island in the Dodecanese. Its capital city, located at its northern tip, is the capital of the Prefecture with the Medieval Town in its centre. In 1988 the Medieval Town was designated as a World Heritage City. The Medieval Town of Rhodes is the result of different architectures belonging to various historic eras, predominantly those of the Knights of St. John.
The island was inhabited as early as the late Neolithic period (4000 B.C.). In 408 B.C. the three major cities of the island - Ialyssos, Kamiros and Lindos - founded the city of Rhodes. The three centuries that followed were the golden age of Rhodes. Sea trade, skilled shipbuilders,and the careful and open-minded political and diplomatic manoeuvres of the city kept it strong and prosperous until Roman times.
During the early Christian period (330-650 A.D.) Rhodes belonged to the eastern part of the Christianised Roman Empire, which is known in history as the Byzantine Empire.
The Arabs, who appeared or the first time in the Mediterranean in the 7th century, attacked Rhodes and occupied it for sοme decades. The city shrank during the following centuries and was fortified with new walls. At the same time it was divided into two zones, one reserved for the political and military leadership and the other where the laymen lived, a division that reflects the social reality of medieval times.
During the Knights' era the fortifications of the city were extended, modernized and continuously reinforced. Α hospital, a palace and several churches were among the many public buildings constructed at that time, offering interesting examples of Gothic and Renaissance architecture. Ιn spite of the hostilities with the Ottoman Empire, sea trade was a source of wealth and the markets of the city were thriving. Under the Knights, the island had a period of prosperity and the relations between them and the local population was characterized by tolerance and often by close collaboration. Most of the streets of the Medieval Town coincided with those of the ancient city. The division of the town into two parts was retained. in Rhodes the Order kept a well-organized archive that included documents issued by its leadership, correspondence, notary acts, etc. The archive has survived and is found today in the National Library of Malta. It constitutes a valuable source of information for the period.
In 1522 the Ottoman Turks conquered the city after a second long siege. New buildings were constructed: mosques, public baths and mansions for the new patrons. The Greeks were forced to abandon the fortified city and move to new suburbs outside its walls.
In the Ottoman era Rhodes lost its international character. The city maintained its main economic function as a market for the agricultural products of the interior of the island and the surrounding small islands.
Ιn the l9th century the decline of the Ottoman Empire resulted in the general neglect of the town and its buildings, which further deteriorated due to the strong earthquakes that often plague the area.
In 1912 and in 1923 Italy established in Rhodes the colony Isole Italiane del Egeo. The Italians demolished the houses that had been built on and beside the walls during the Ottoman era and turned the Jewish and Ottoman cemeteries into a "green zone" surrounding the Medieval Town. They preserved the remains of the Knights' period and removed all the Ottoman additions and also reconstructed the Grand Master's Palace. In addition, they established an Institute for the study of the History and Culture of the region.
The Italians undertook extensive infrastructure works (roads, electricity, port, etc.) and radically transformed the town of Rhodes, which was supplied with a new urban plan, building regulations and many new public and private buildings.
The English bombs that fell on the medieval city of Rhodes in 1944 claimed human lives and destroyed a great number of buildings, leaving large gaps in the urban tissue. One of the first Decrees of the Greek administration designated those areas as reserved for future excavations and a number of edifices as safeguarded buildings.
In 1957, a new city plan was approved by a Decree and in 1960 the entire medieval town was designated as a protected monument by the Ministry of Culture. In 1961 and 1963 new Decrees were issued concerning the new city plan. They provided for the widening of existing streets and the opening of new ones. These were not implemented in the old city due to the resistance of the Archaeological Service. In 1988, the old town of Rhodes was designated as a World Heritage City by UNESCO.
(source : Municipality of Rhodes)
Significant Sights of Rhodes
The old City of Rhodes
Aquarium : tel. 0030 2241 0 27308
Valley of the Butterflies : tel. 0030 2241 0 81801
Thermal baths at Kallithea
Municipal Museum of Modern Greek Art : tel. 0030 2241 0 23766, 36646
Archeological Museum : tel. 0030 2241 0 31048, 79601
For more information please visit
Municipality of Rhodes : http://www.rhodes.gr/en/
Eleftherias 1 Sq., 85100 Rhodes, Greece
Tel. : 0030 22413-61200
e-mail : email@example.com
Museums of Rhodes: http://www.rhodes.gr/en/ipolimas/touristikosodigos/sites/mouseia/
Sites of Natural beauty : http://www.rhodes.gr/en/ipolimas/touristikosodigos/sites/fysikou/
Castles : http://www.rhodes.gr/en/ipolimas/touristikosodigos/sites/kastra/
Monuments : http://www.rhodes.gr/en/ipolimas/touristikosodigos/sites/mnimia/
Mythimna (or Molivos), is the capital of the Province, and the contiguous villages of Skala Sykamnias, Sykamnia, Lepetymnos, Argenos, Vafios and rural area of Eftalou comprise the present Municipality of Mithymna.
According to mythology, Mithymna was one of the five daughters of the mythical King Makara. During the middle ages Mithymna takes on the name Molyvos or Molivos. The writing of Molyvos with an iota (i) could be considered the proper way to spell the name, if we were to accept the assumption that the stem of the word is the West European periphrastic denomination Mont d’ olives (mountain of olives). The traditional architecture of the town reflects the modus vivendi and social life styles of the past. In 1965 the competent authorities put a preservation order on the entire settlement of Molyvos (Mithymna), thus declaring it a protected town.
Mithymna owns an archaeological collection with impressive findings from the surrounding area, and a library with a collection of over ten thousand volumes and manuscripts.
In the past, music was the beloved activity of the Mithymnian people. Arion was a brilliant poet who set music to verses like no other. Zeus, Dionysos and Hercules were especially worshipped. Virgile mentions that the grapes of Mithymna were unequalled in their aroma and nectars.
Every year a significant number of cultural events and conferences, both national and international, are held in Molyvos. Art exhibitions, lectures, theatrical performances and folklore events are held in the town.
Since 1960, tourist development has played a critical role in the life and evolution of Molyvos. Every year a significant number of cultural events and conferences, both national and international, are held in Molyvos. Art exhibitions, lectures, theatrical performances and folklore events are held in the town. Apart from the tourist industry, the local inhabitants also work in the fishing, olive cultivation, cattle-breeding and farming sector.
The region of Mithymna (Molivos)
Mithymna (Molivos) as well as the small mountainous villages Vafios, Argenos, Lepetymnos, Sikamia and the traditional fishing village of Skala Sikamia constitute the Municipality of Mithymna.
Vafios, the picturesque village, is located 4km far of Mithymna (Molivos). Built in the foot of Lepetymnos mountain, one can enjoy the panoramic views of Aegean Sea.
Argenos is the next village after Vafios. It is a mountainous village, built in the slopes of mountain Lepetymnos.
Lepetymnos (Lepetimnos or Chalikas): Because of the subsidence of the earth, after an earthquake in the 60s, residents of the village were forced to be moved few kms down from their initial place and to make a new beginning. In Lepetymnos exists the church of Virgin Mary, where on the 15th of August in its courtyard the Fiesta of Holy Mary
(Panigiri Panagias) is celebrated with traditional life music, local food etc.
Sikamia (Sikaminea): The stone houses and the mansions are harmonious built in the green slopes of mount Lepetymnos. In Sikamia Stratis Myrivilis was born, the writer of famous novels and the masterpiece “The Schoolteacher with the Golden Eyes”.
One of the most beautiful places in Lesvos is Skala Sikamias. A traditional settlement that attracts many visitors, especially in during summertime. The landscape is magical, at the end of small fishing port, on a rock is built the small church of “Virgin Mary the Mermaid”. Shaped in a semicircle, traditional taverns can be found around the harbour, where the fishermen sell their fish.
(source : Municipality of Mythimna)
Significant Sights of Mythimna :
The Castle of Mythimna
The Ottoman Mosque – Conference Centre
The Historical Municipal Library “Argyris Eftaliotis”
Hot Springs of Eftalou
The villages of Lepetymnos
Ancient Mythimna’s archaeological sites
Argiris Eftaliotis’ grave
For more information please visit :
Municipality of Mythimna : http://mithymna.gr/
Municipality of Mytilini : http://www.mytilene.gr/index.php/lang-en
El. Venizelou 13 - 17 , 811 00 Mytilene , Lesvos , Greece
Tel. : 0030 22510 27777, 0030 22510 28811, 0030 22510 20478
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
The picturesque village Tsepélovon is located in the center of Zagoria at an altitude of 1100 meters and 51 km from Ioannina, the capital of Epirus. It is the largest village of Zagoria with ornate streets, mansions, cafes, taverns and stone bridges.
During the Ottoman period, Tsepélovon was the administrative center of the region of Zagoria. In Tsepélovon the great actress Marika Kotopouli was born. There is the tomb of the poet Yannis Vilaras and the monastery of St. John of Rogovos. Within the village square there is the church of Agios Nikolaos with its stunning frescoes (1786) and the magnificent tower of 1868.
The traditional stone architecture is present in all homes and in the churches of the village. Special examples are the cultural center of "Estia", the Church of St. Nicholas that was built in the 18th century as a basilica with a dome and decorated in 1786 by skilled painters from Kapesovo, temples Assumption of Mary, Kato Panagia and various mansions of famous families. The visitor can also admire the erudite old "bridge of Kokkori " which is a perfect example of the traditional bridgework of Zagoria.
Tsepélovon flourished commercially during the Ottoman years mainly due to timber trade. In 1700 opened the first school of the village. During 1980, the outbreak of the Revolution (1820), Tsepélovon was the refuge of the poet Yannis Vilaras and teacher Athanassios Psalidas where they formed a main revolutionary organization and lead the Revolution during the first stages of the outbreak. Psalidas even taught for a short time in the village school.
Two kilometers far from the village, above the gorge called "Vikaki" the stone built Monastery of Rogovos is located. The Monastery was built in the years 1028-1034 and renovated in 1745. The preserved wall paintings and woodcarvings of the church developed gradually during the 18th and 19th century. There, Neophytos Doukas wished to establish a higher educational institution ("Higher School").
Nowadays the village is a destination for tourism, especially during winter. It is characterized as a traditional settlement and many of its buildings are listed. You can visit many nearby attractions including the Vikos Gorge, Vikaki, Moni Rogovou in Tsepélovon, Agia Paraskevi in Monodendri and Spiliotissa in Aristi, the Pelasgian walls in Skamneli, the Sarakatsanian Sheepfold in Gyftokambos, Skala Vradetou and continue until reaching the "Belloi", the balcony of the gorge, from where you can admire the ravine in vertical height of 680 m.
Significant sights in the region of Zagorochoria :
Descending from Aristi village on the way to Papingo at 500 m before the bridge of Voidomatis, starts the path to Spiliotissa Monastery.
Natural Fonts of Papingo
Agia Paraskevi Monastery
Plakidas Bridge or Kalogeriko
Cultural Theatre in Monodendri Ioannina
Voidomatis Source (4 km after the village Aristi)
Agapios Tolis Folklore Museum in Kipoi village (16 km)
St. John Rogovos Monastery of the 11th AD century (3 km)
Useful information :